Code of Conduct
1st Draft Protocol / Code of Conduct.
1. Aims and Objectives:
• To nurture a sense of unity, dedication and good neighbourly relations among the residents of Glen Anil.
• To assist the local police to safeguard the community against criminal activities and strive for a safe and secure environment.
• To provide a channel through which local communities can play a meaningful role in crime prevention in a manner that is ethical and non-violent.
• To create public awareness with regard to safety, crime prevention and protection of families and their property.
• To encourage the community to work in close co-operation with the South African Police Services (SAPS) and other structures such as local authorities who are involved in law enforcement.
• To unite a diverse residency in creating a stable and crime free environment.
• GANW is not a legal person and functions within the guidelines provided by and set out in the Kwazulu Natal Provincial Constitution and Code of Conduct for Neighbourhood Watch Structures.
• An acknowledgement to this effect must be signed by all members of GANW clearly indemnifying the Neighbourhood Watch Structure.
• The acknowledgement must clearly state that GANW is a voluntary association.
• Each member of GANW shall sign an indemnity to be given to the chairman for safekeeping. This indemnity shall remain in effect until such time as notice is given in writing by either party. Members signing the indemnity therefore agree to abide by all governing rules and regulations.
• GANW is not a legal person and as such does not have powers of whatever nature which might be in law to act or be acted upon.
• All individual members act in their own capacity as individuals and liability will be in that capacity.
• GANW will not be responsible for civil and or criminal actions or omissions that are perpetrated by a member of GANW nor responsible for civil and or criminal actions or omissions against its members.
• All and any criminal and civil actions that are instituted against a member of GANW will be against the member concerned and not GANW.
• Any damage or injury to any member of GANW or his or her property when such member is acting as a member of GANW in whatsoever capacity shall, subject to claims against third parties, be the sole and absolute responsibility of the member.
• GANW carries no insurances whatsoever for members or their families or dependants.
• Members of GANW must take all such steps as they choose to establish their own legal position as to their personal/ accident/medical or vehicle insurances and assurances.
• GANW must assist SAPS in crime prevention in the Glen Anil area.
• GANW will adopt and support the social crime prevention policy of SAPS.
• GANW must operate within the framework of the law. Only minimum force may be used to secure an arrest as defined in Criminal Procedure Act No. 51 of 1977.
• GANW members will have powers similar to that of any other citizen to perform a citizen’s arrest and the requirements set out in the Criminal Procedure Act No. 51 of 1977 will be adhered to and complied with at all times.
• Members of GANW have the same rights as any member of the public to arrest a perpetrator of an offence or of any person reasonably suspected of being about to commit an offence.
• All members of GANW must at all times act in a non-violent manner. No member may take the law into his or her own hands irrespective of circumstances.
• No member of GANW will display racism, sexism or any other form of discrimination towards any other member and any other person.
• No member shall carry any weapon perceived to be dangerous that could inflict serious bodily harm or damage to property. This includes dangerous weapons as defined by law when patrolling. Only weapons for the sole purpose of self defence as approved by the Provincial Commissioner and SAPS may be used.
• All members with firearms taken on any patrol shall declare these to the local SAPS Crime Prevention Officer before going on patrol.
• Should a member of GANW be found guilty of a criminal offence committed when the member is operating formally as a GANW member, GANW will take such disciplinary actions as are considered appropriate by the Committee and will issue a public statement regarding its action.
• Members of GANW shall not divulge any confidential or privileged information that they may have acquired as a result of their membership of GANW.
• No member of GANW may exploit his or her membership for personal advantage or benefit.
• Members of GANW must at all times act in a manner that will uphold and promote the aims and objectives of GANW.